Julie A. Lewis
Toll Free (844) 626-0909
- Employee Benefits Law
- Labor and Employment Law
- School Law
- Corporate Law
- University of Minnesota Law School
- Creighton University
Julie advises public, private and non-profit employers on employee benefits, labor relations, employment law and general civil law matters.
Focusing on employee benefits law compliance, Julie's representative work for Wisconsin public and private employers includes:
- 403(b)/457 plan design, drafting and legal compliance.
- 401(k) and other retirement plan legal compliance including multiple employer plan design, qualified separate lines of business and other tax requirements.
- Retirement medical plans including plan design, drafting and tax-compliant funding.
- Group health plan design, drafting and compliance with the Affordable Care Act and Section 125 cafeteria plans.
- OPEB plan design, drafting and funding including deferred leave funding.
- COBRA and HIPAA requirements in mergers and acquisitions and legal compliance.
- Medicare Coordination of Care regulations.
- Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRA)/Health Savings Accounts (HSA)/Flexible Savings Accounts (FSA) and other fringe benefits - plan design, drafting, benefits debit cards and legal compliance.
- Self-insured group health plan legal compliance including stop loss plan coverage.
- Individual employment and compensation agreements.
Julie also advises public and private employers on unemployment insurance tax audits; OSHA, NLRA and Fair Labor Standards Act compliance; fair employment laws; affirmative action requirements for government contractors and commercial contract drafting and review.
- Licensed to practice in WI and MN
- Admitted to the Western District of Wisconsin U.S. District Court
- Admitted to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member, Wisconsin School Attorneys Association
- Member, Wisconsin Association of School Boards
- Member, Council of School Attorneys, National School Boards Association
- Wisconsin State Bar Association – Labor/Employment Law Section Board Member – 2014 to present
- Board of Directors – Greater Beloit Chamber of Commerce – May 2015 to present
- Board of Directors – Community Action of Rock and Walworth Counties – 2013 to present
- Legal Advisor to Board of Directors – Rock-Walworth Comprehensive Family Services (HeadStart) – 2014-2016
- Board Member – Rock-Walworth Comprehensive Family Services (HeadStart) – 2016 to Present
- Board of Directors – Rotary Botanical Gardens, Janesville, Wisconsin – 2014 to present
- Rock County Pro Bono Project Founder and Director
Published Articles / Presentations
- The Top Five Things School District Officials Need to Know about Employee Benefits; Wisconsin State Education Convention; Strang, Patteson, Renning, Lewis & Lacy, s.c. Seminar; January 17, 2017
- Employee Health Care - Legal Developments 2016 co-presented at the Wisconsin Association of School Boards (WASB) Employment and School Law Conference; October 14, 2016
- Affordable Care Act Reporting Update presented to the Associated Financial Group Benefits Administrators; September 13, 2016
- Rise and Shine Legal Update for Rock County Employers co-presented at Irontek in Beloit, Wisconsin, August 10, 2016
- State Bar of Wisconsin Annual Meeting, presenter, "What's the Plan? ACA Remedies Update," June 25, 2015
- Labor and Employment Law Section, State Bar of Wisconsin, presenter, "OSHA Policy and Practice," March 19, 2015
- State Bar of Wisconsin Health, Labor and Employment Law Institute, panelist, Closing Plenary, "ACA Responsibilities, Pitfalls and How to Navigate Them," August 22, 2014
- John Marshall Law Review – "At the Intersection of Insurance and Tax – Title I of the ACA and ERISA Equity Expansion" Summer 2014 (Link)
- John Marshall Law School Center for Tax Law & Employee Benefits, 12th Annual Employee Benefits Symposium, presenter, "At the Intersection of Insurance and Tax: Title I of the ACA and the ERISA Equity Expansion," April 4, 2014
- Beloit Health System Foundation Professional Advisors Seminar, panelist, "Understanding Marketplace Health Insurance Exchanges under PPACA," September 24, 2013
- State Bar of Wisconsin Health, Labor and Employment Law Institute, panelist, "In House Counsel Issues Forum: Navigating Healthcare Reform from Insurance, Provider and Employer Perspectives," August 22, 2013
Focus | Wisconsin
We are also focused on providing legal services in other areas that our clients need, such as real estate, general business law, creditor’s rights, and business litigation.
- Green Bay, Madison, and Oshkosh
- Service Center: